Monday, February 14, 2011

Sweetheart Festival 2011

I spent last weekend in Young Harris at the Sweetheart Festival. It was my first show of 2011 and my first indoor show. I can say up front that outdoor shows are easier to set up.

When I arrived at 7 am Saturday morning we found out that Say Yes to the Dress was filming a wedding at the resort where the show was being held. Therefore vendors had to be moved around. I was fortunate I was a luck one who got to stay. My new spot was not nearly as good as I would have liked - but all in all it was a good weekend.

We were able to drive partway up the golf path to unload the van. Thanks to my new hand truck unloading was a piece of cake!


Setting up was more difficult since I was not in a square 10x10 foot spot but had to set up in a hallway. In addition to the festival, there was an art show going on in the resort. My corner had the nicest painting! For a while there were boxes everywhere.


After we unloaded we began by setting up my brand new rack. What a blessing the rack was. I want 3 more!


Finally we got most of our tubs emptied and organized. We had to be creative. Tim fashioned a small table for socks from 4 empty tubs and a tablecloth - great thinking! Space did not allow me to display our Upcycle - maybe next show.


Looking from my hanging rack into the rest of the exhibit area was difficult since the hall was C shaped. I was on the bottom end of the C and the stairs were on the top of the C.


On my floor there was a potter, a jeweler, two candle makers (bad idea to put two vendors with the same product next to each other), a lady who sold shirt savers (adult bibs), a couple who did wood burning and basketry, and me. The main floor of the resort had about 35 other vendors.

My corner was COLD. Not chilly - but cold. I have been warmer in November at outdoor shows with snow on the ground. I figured an indoor show would be warm so I skipped wearing long johns, ski socks, and under armor. I never took off my jacket or scarf on Saturday. I dressed for outdoor temps on Sunday and was able to forgo a jacket until late in the afternoon.

I am looking forward to more shows in 2011. Next time I'll dress for cold and bring clothing to change into if it warms up! One thing I love about art festivals and craft shows is that people are HAPPY to be there. Helping someone to pick out the "perfect" shirt is fun. This is why I love to tie dye - tie dye makes people smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Please leave me a comment. If you are having difficulty you can email me at Tina@tinastiedye.com. Have a wonderful day.