Sunday, February 6, 2011

Homeschooling and Spelling (or why I love DSP)

I am a 17 year veteran of homeschooling my 4 children. I have a 5th grader, so I have 7 more to go. Over the years I have tried dozens (yes, really dozens) of spelling programs. Some I have liked, some I have not. 4 years ago I met the author of Daily Spelling Practice at our homeschool co-op. We were paired up to teach the journalism class. I was relieved that someone who actually knew what she was doing was going to be my helper - she was relieved that she did not have to work in the nursery. It was a perfect fit!

I was so excited to learn about Daily Spelling Practice (DSP at our house) and to try it out on Abbie, because she was very unhappy with the curriculum that I was using (and that her older sisters had liked.) You can read about the program by clicking HERE.

I love that DSP has a workbook. I am generally not a workbook lover, but I like that the daily exercises are all contained in ONE place. Just the workbook and a folder takes care of spelling now.

I wish I could say that overnight my daughter became a wonderful speller. What I did notice was that with DSP she did not regurgitate words back on a test, but was learning the whys of spelling and applying those rules to her daily work. We are now on level 4. I can say that I have seen great improvement. My children like that they can be DONE with spelling in under 10 minutes a day. I love that I can be done with spelling in under 10 minutes a day. No more word lists, no more word puzzles, and no more whining (well maybe just a little whining.)

Thanks DGP for publishing an affordable, easy to use, and efficient spelling program. I <3 DGP! Tomorrow I am going to be featured on my friend Sharon's blog - Keen Inspirations - for a giveaway. Check out her site by clicking on the link.

Today I found out that I had WON a contest with my purse cleaning blog post. Anna over at Ask Anna had a giveaway and included a bonus challenge for an extra entry. THANK YOU!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Please leave me a comment. If you are having difficulty you can email me at Tina@tinastiedye.com. Have a wonderful day.