Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Socks, Socks and More Socks!

Socks are one of those things that I never spend a lot of time thinking about.  When it is cold I wear socks.  When I am exercising I wear socks.  When I want to slide across the dining room I wear socks.  I really only think about socks when my sock drawer is empty.  BUT - I have a little confession - even though I don't really think about them much, I LOVE socks!  I like soft socks; I like fluffy socks.  I like athletic socks (as long as they don't disappear down into my shoe when I am working out).  I like knee socks, and I like colorful socks.

A few years ago I went on a quest to find some 100% cotton socks to dye.  What I found is that most socks are not 100% cotton.  Even socks that say 80% cotton are really only cotton on the inside (which feels good) with a synthetic outside.  My dye does not dye synthetic fibers.  So, the socks I was buying at the big box store ( you KNOW the store I am speaking of) did not dye up well. Then I got a new catalog from my favorite dye supplier (Dharma Trading Company) and they had BAMBOO socks.  Yup, you read it right - bamboo!  I ordered a few pair and was so excited to find that they not only felt marvelous but they dyed up great!  Since that time I have dyed up a lot of socks. 



My next quest was to find 100% cotton socks for athletes.  I mean, doesn't every soccer player want a pair of really awesome tie dye socks?  After searching for 3 years I have finally found a source - WAH HOO!  I started with just 2 pair.  I did not want to invest a lot of money on a product that might not hold up or feel good.  My two product testers liked them and they have been through about a dozen washes and have performed well.  So now I have Bamboo socks for babies through adult and athletic socks for kids and adults.



Over the years I have found that you get what you pay for with socks.  If you are a hiker, spend a few extra bucks and get a few good pairs.  If you want to look good and have you feet swaddled in comfort, try a pair of bamboo socks this year.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Cool new blog. I love your tie dye

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat blog Tina! I have GOT to get me some of those bamboo socks. I keep hearing about them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Please leave me a comment. If you are having difficulty you can email me at Tina@tinastiedye.com. Have a wonderful day.