Wednesday, January 19, 2011

No Tools Required

No tools required
Easy Assembly
Keep away from children

When I read those words I get worried.  Take today for example.  I purchased a chrome 4 shelf bookshelf to help organize my stuff (I have a lot of stuff).  The box said, “No tools required. Easy Assembly.”  And in really small print (that I needed glasses and a magnifying glass to read) it said “Keep away from children.”  That should have been an indication that this project would be difficult.


Daniel and I lugged the 39 pound box from the van to the house.  I was prepared and already had the space for the shelf cleaned out. 

Opening the box was a chore.  Why do they need to use a whole roll of packing tape to close a box?  I ship Homeschool Psych books for Tim and I can ship about 40 boxes with the amount of tape they used on my one box.

So the box was opened and the pieces taken out.  I have to admit that I was impressed that whoever packed the box did not forget a thing.  Everything that the instructions showed should be in the box WAS in the box.

Now, mind you, the box said no tools required.   The instructions said for best results use a rubber mallet.  I suspect that the rubber mallet is needed for hitting yourself on the head when you are one hour into the project and not done!

I followed the directions (well really there were not directions, just vague looking drawings) and got shelf #1 on.  No rubber mallet needed thank you very much!  Next came shelf 2. At this point I realized that “Easy Assembly” was a lie and that I did need a child to help me. 

Finally my shelf was assembled – 1 hour and 20 minutes from box opening!  Isn’t it lovely?  Now I can organize my teacher’s manuals, shirts to dye, and personal stuff.  I cleaned out the old pile while I was at is and got rid of some junk.  Organizational project #2 of 2011 done!

Done!

I had a lot of stuff that needed organizing.










Now it is time to dye!

2 comments:

  1. Good job Tina! Now will you come to my house and assemble some shelves for me? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Please leave me a comment. If you are having difficulty you can email me at Tina@tinastiedye.com. Have a wonderful day.