Monday, March 14, 2011

I LOVE Music!

I LOVE MUSIC! I like many different genres and can find something I like in most (yes even Rap and Opera.) My mother took me to numerous concerts while I was growing up - from Neil Diamond to Gordon Lightfoot and REO Speedwagon to Bruce Springsteen. I loved (and still do) the concert scene. So it is only natural that I should want to play a musical instrument.

The instrument I have always wanted to learn to play is the piano, so in January I had my first piano lesson EVER. My piano teacher told me that I am her oldest student but not to let that bother me. It doesn't. I like being her oldest student. My children all took piano lessons and I learned a little from helping them - but not enough to do me any real good in learning to play. Basically I learned just enough to be somewhat helpful and probably forced me desire to learn to play the piano on making my children practice and practice and practice (sorry kids.)

So far I have learned to play simple songs in C position. Today I met the G hand position and next lesson I will be introduced to sharps. Those black keys scare me - so does the # symbol. I promised I would not whine, so I won't. BUT I do have to admit piano is harder than I thought it would be. Knowing what little I know has made me more aware of the talent it takes to play a piano/keyboard in a band. I don't think I am ready to join a band yet nor will I be ready for a while.

Now when I listen to my favorite songs, I am noticing the piano/keyboard. When Written in Stone lead worship at our church last week I watched the keyboardist and thought to myself I am a long way from his skill level.

Don't look for me on iTunes anytime soon! I'd love to know what you are listening to right now. I have two songs that have really been speaking to me lately - Fade Away by Written in Stone and How he Loves by Jesus Culture. You should check them out!

If you have not entered the Pink Heart shirt caption contest - do it soon. You could win a Pink Heart shirt for yourself (or a friend).

I will be announcing my spring fundraiser for my Koman 3-Day. It will involve white underwear an the US postal service.

5 comments:

  1. Yay for you! I'm proud you are taking lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go.... I love the songn, "How He Loves"... I love Jesus Culture songs... so many good ones!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since you like rap, check this out:

    http://www.sovereigngraceministries.org/blogs/cj-mahaney/post/2010/10/25/The-First-Ever-Rap-Song-About-the-Heidelberg-Catechism.aspx

    The lyrics are below the audio clip. This is probably the only rap I've ever liked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just heard Victory by Yolanda Adams for the first time in a long and forgot how much I loved that song. Toby Mac/Kirk Franklin.

    If you want to hear good piano, look up The City Harmonic and their song called Manifesto.

    Usually I have 80's rock blasting the day away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Flor Ida's song...."The Club Can't Handle Me"...(or something like that)...a good rock song transcends generations!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Please leave me a comment. If you are having difficulty you can email me at Tina@tinastiedye.com. Have a wonderful day.