Saturday, April 14, 2012

Rocks, Rubber Bands, and Things

I taught Fantastic Tie Dye at John C. Campbell Folk School at the beginning of April. I had a WONDERFUL class. All 8 of my students were excited to learn to tie dye and they all inspired me to do more.  We started out as strangers and ended up as friends. I like that!

While getting read for my class at JCC, I read about artists who use rocks, marbles, and other found objects to put designs into fabric. I decided to try it out (and so did several of my students.)
First, I gathered my rocks.
Then I got my presoaked scarf ready.
I used rubber bands to secure the rocks in a randomish pattern on the scarf.
Next I dyed the scarf in shades of purple and blue on a green background.
The hardest part was waiting for 24 hours to open it up.  WOW, I love it!!!
My next scarf project involved marbles and a fringed scarf. Keep scrolling to see that finished project.
I liked working with the marbles more than working with the rocks.

Here is a close up of the pattern. My Mom choose a light shade of green and purple.
So, get out the marbles and rubber bands and get going!

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Please leave me a comment. If you are having difficulty you can email me at Tina@tinastiedye.com. Have a wonderful day.