Monday, January 2, 2012

New Uses for t-shirts!

A fellow crafter sent me a link for making a scarf from a tshirt. I have a lot of tshirts so I decided to try it out.

First I got out my cutting board and some scissors. I folded my shirt in half and laid it on the cutting board.


Then I cut the top off, just under the armpit. I cut 1 1/2 to 2 inch strips to the bottom, discarding the hemmed edge on the bottom.

Here are my strips of folded tshirt.


Taking the first strip I held it in both hands and pulled it tight so that the edges rolled in towards the center. Because tshirts are a rib knit fabric, the edges won't ravel.


Continue stretching your strips until you have them all done.



Now you have a group of strips that have been stretched so that the edges have rolled inward.



Lay the rolled strips together and take a leftover piece of tshirt and tie them all together. If you are feeling really artsy make a flower with layers of tshirt and use this to tie the scarf together. I was too lazy to make a flower, so I just tied a bow (see the photo below.)



If you make a flower attach it on top of the bow (or tie a square knot.)



Wear with pride!

Tina


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Please leave me a comment. If you are having difficulty you can email me at Tina@tinastiedye.com. Have a wonderful day.