Wednesday, May 16, 2012

A 3Day Request

My friend DJ got me started with Susan G. Komen 3Day walks a few years ago. I created my Pink Heart shirt to help her raise money to walk and then I crewed for DJ and her sister Cheryl.  My daughter Abbie was on the 2012 Washington, D.C., youth corps and now is planning to  walk in honor of DJ and Cheryl and in hopes that none of her friend have to deal with loosing a mom, grandma, sister, aunt, father, or anyone they love to breast cancer. Both DJ and Cheryl are breast cancer survivors. Both DJ and Cheryl are heroes to me.

Currently Cheryl is fighting cancer again. She wants to crew the 2012 Atlanta 3Day. Below is DJ's letter to the 3Day Coaches. I hope they can find them a spot.

Hi,

My sister Cheryl Carter was just put on the waiting list to crew for Atlanta. I want/need to share with you what is happening, and perhaps you can help facilitate this.

Cheryl is a BRCA gene Survivor, diagnosed in January 2009.  Her diagnosis led me to learn that I too had the gene.  Cheryl had the double mastectomy, total hysterectomy, chemo and radiation. I only had the surgeries, but we are both survivors. We are both three time 3 day walkers. Cheryl also crewed the past three years in Cleveland. (Security - rode a bike!)   In 2009 she walked 47 miles in Cleveland (our first 60 mile walk) while on her 7th week of chemo. She was the Cleveland media ambassador that year as well.


Currently, Cheryl's cancer has returned with a vengeance and has metastasized everywhere.  She was given a 12-18 month prognosis in January, and is currently on a clinical trial.   Her one wish was to walk every city before her time was up.  There is no possible way for her to do that while on this trial due to some restrictions, so she is seeking to do just one more walk.  She chose Atlanta because we were raised there, and many of her friends will be walking for Cheryl this year.


Neither one of us registered to crew until today because, frankly we were in a state of denial and overwhelming stress.  Now, however, Cheryl's focus on the future is more clear and she very much wants to work this Atlanta walk.  I would need to be with her, so I am asking you to please oh please find two crew spaces for us in Atlanta.  We can do anything, just let her be there. 


I created a video about her and the three day back in 2009.  It's only 3 minutes long if you want to see it



Please Keep DJ and Cheryl in your prayers.  I'll keep you posted on how things turn out for Atlanta!

Tina


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Please leave me a comment. If you are having difficulty you can email me at Tina@tinastiedye.com. Have a wonderful day.